I posted last night about cooking the perfect steak, so tonight’s post is about the sides that I had with the ribeye. I made a blue cheese sauce, fries, balsamic glazed cherry tomatoes, smoked mushrooms and asparagus.The blue cheese sauce is quick and simple to do and the best thing about it is there’s always about half left to freeze and you can use another time. It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare and I usually cook it for 25 minutes. Ingredients:
- 200g blue cheese (I usually use stilton, but use a milder one if you find it too strong).
- 300ml single cream.
- 1 white onion diced.
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- 1 large glass of white wine.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1 large knob of butter.
- Add 1 teaspoon of rapeseed oil to a pan, when it is hot, add the onion and garlic. Sweat off for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and season it to taste.
- Add the wine and reduce for 10 minutes.
- Crumble the cheese into pan and cook on a low heat until it has melted.
- Add the cream and simmer.
- Serve with the steak.
For the mushrooms and tomatoes, I seasoned them with salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs, balsamic vinegar (do this to taste as I like quite a lot!) and some smoked oil. I cooked them in an ovenproof dish for 20 minutes on 180 degrees. I cut four large potatoes into thin strips and double cooked them. The first time of cooking the chips, I cooked them for 5 minutes and then again for 8 minutes to give them a good colour and crunch. They go perfectly with the steak and are so easy to do!I use a deep fat fryer but you could just add oil to a deep saucepan and get the oil up to boiling point. All of these elements go perfectly with each other and make for an amazing meal, whether it is for a dinner party or a meal for your other half.Enjoy!